src="https://bitly.com/24workpng1" alt="Blogger Templates" border="0" style="position:absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px;" >

Thursday, May 26, 2016

End of the Year Reflection - (Final Blog of the Year!)

      I cannot believe that we have reached the end of the year already! It all went by so fast. So much has happened this year, and although I am kind of heartbroken that it is coming to the end, I am really excited for summer. 

What are the three most important things you learned this year?

      I learned a lot of things this year. I think that the most important thing that I learned about this year was time management. Last year and at the very beginning of the year, I would usually wait until the last minute to do homework or projects. This year, since there is a lot more homework, and I had more after school activities, I had to learn how to manage my time more and plan things out so that I can get things done and still have time do the activities that I want. The second thing that I learned this year was about studying. I learned that the best way for me to study was using flashcards. This helped me very much when I had to study for the vocabulary tests. And the third most important thing that I think I learned this year was about annotating articles. We learned how to annotate, and what to annotate for. I think that annotating is important for understanding news articles. 

What is something we did this year that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?

      Something that we did this year that I think I will remember for the rest of my life is the poetry unit. I learned about different types of poems, figurative language (mostly metaphors), and how to write poetry ourselves. During this unit, I found out that I actually like poetry, and I really like writing it. I think that I never really liked poetry because I didn't understand it. But, now that we learned about metaphors and figurative language, I think I can understand it a little better, so I enjoy it a lot more. I also really enjoy writing poetry. I have written a number during the unit (Where I'm From, Spine Poem, Found Poem, AOW Poem, etc.) I think that this unit helped me a lot, and I think that I will continue to use these skills for a long time. 

What was the nicest thing someone in our class did for you this year?

      The nicest thing that that someone did for me was when Evelyn helped me with my homework. If there was something that I didn't understand, I would call her or text her, and she would explain it. And I would do the same for her. I am very grateful because she helped me so much. Thank you, Evelyn (if you read end up reading this).

What is something you taught your teacher or classmates this year?

      Something that I taught my classmates was about gender equality. For one of my AOWs, I chose an article that talked about the pay gap between men and women. It said how in some countries, women don't even have the same access to food that men do. The article said that even though International Women' s day is considered a holiday (kind of), women aren't close to being equal to men, at least not with equal pay. So, during the AOW gallery walk, I taught my classmates about gender equality. 

In what area do you feel you made your biggest improvements? What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?

      I think that my biggest improvements were with poetry. At the beginning of the year, I didn't understand most poems, so I didn't like them. I also could not write a decent poem. Ever. I wrote a terrible poem about how I didn't have anything to write about. Then, we did the poetry unit, and I got better at writing poems. I guess I was good at writing when I could write about anything and write in whatever style I wanted. I also learned about metaphors and figurative language, so I understood poems better. Something that I accomplished this year that I am proud of is getting up in front of the whole class and reading some of my poems. I was crazy nervous, but I did it. And, to my surprise, they actually liked them.  

What was the most challenging part of this year for you?

      I think that the most challenging part of the year for me was the 40 book challenge. I completely underestimated my time. I spent about a month on a book that I wasn't interested in (so I don't know why I kept reading it) and didn't read as much as I wanted to this year. For the 40 book challenge, I read 31 books, so I didn't complete the challenge. I blame myself completely. I underestimated how much time I had and wasted most of the time I had. I wish that I had spent more time reading, because I enjoyed a lot of the books that I read. I discovered that I enjoy historical fiction books, and the author Mitch Albom. But, I am really disappointed in myself that I couldn't finish the challenge. 

What was the best piece of writing that you did this year? Why do you think it is your best?

      I think that the best piece of writing that I did this year was my poems. I am really proud of them. I think that the best poem that I wrote (for this class) was the Where I'm From Poem. I think that it is the best because it has a lot of memories from when I was a little kid. For example: "from making weird videos with friends." A bunch of friends and I went to the park and spent the whole day filming an awkward dancing music video to "Worth It" by Fifth Harmony. The poem brings back a lot memories and it just makes me happy. 

Of the books you read this year, which was your favorite? Why?

      My favorite book that I read this year (that was not for this class) was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. This book is very different from the rest of the books that I read because it starts off with the main character, Eddie, dying. The book is his journey with five people, who help him understand his life and what happened to him. I really like this book because it is really interesting, his journey through heaven, meeting people who help him understand his life. He meets a "blue man" from the carnival where he worked, who (after a chain of events including Eddie) died. He meets his marine commander who sacrificed himself so that Eddie could live. He meets Ruby, who died before he was born, but was the inspiration for Ruby Pier where he worked, where his father worked, etc. He met his wife, who had died in a car crash trying to apologize to Eddie for yelling at him. And finally, he met a little girl who helped guide him to heaven, and had an impact on his journey through heaven, as he was trying to figure out who she was. 

What advice would you give students who will be in this class next year?

      My advice for the sixth graders going into this class next year is to manage your time well. Obviously, get your homework in on time, but leave time for after school activities. Say, if you have soccer practice or something Tuesday and Thursday, and an AOW due Friday, get it done on Monday, so 1) you don't have to worry about it the rest of the week, and 2) you aren't frantically trying to rush through it at 1 A.M. on Friday. Because if you do it at the last minute, your work won't be as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment