src="https://bitly.com/24workpng1" alt="Blogger Templates" border="0" style="position:absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px;" >

Friday, October 7, 2016

"A Gift From the Angels" - Of Beetles and Angels Poem

This is a poem made from quotes taken from Of Beetles and Angels by Mawi Asgedom.

I was told to forget our differences.
And unite.
That I needed a heart that sees angels
A lifelong inspiration.
I was told that no matter how much strangers resembled beetles,
to treat them as if they were angels sent from heaven.
That they were to test the deepest sentiments of my heart.
In America, I found that people used a different calculator.
Beauty was external, money mattered, and so did skin color.
They only saw angels, when angels could help them.
To my parents, It didn’t matter who the person was or how much they had.
The poorest, most recently arrived refugee
received the same welcome as the richest American.
That is something I learned from them.
I learned that of the gifts that we can give,
the greatest is to see the beauty in each other
Because true power
comes from focusing on what we can give,
not just what we can take.
The big sweeping revolutionary actions are not always the most noticeable.
Quite often, it will be the small things that all of us can do
that will have the most impact.
And today’s small act of kindness
can become tomorrow’s whirlwind of
human
progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment