src="https://bitly.com/24workpng1" alt="Blogger Templates" border="0" style="position:absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px;" >

Friday, October 21, 2016

Confessions of a Madman

The following is a recorded confession of Montresor to the murder by asphyxiation of one -- Fortunato.

You understand why you are here correct?
Yes.
So then, why are you so calm?
You do not frighten me. 
And why is that?
Nothing does, nothing ever has. Now then can we get on with it? You're wasting my time.
Just to clarify, you are speaking of your own free will?
Yes.
And you will speak the truth, and nothing but the truth?
Of course I will.
Now then can you please explain, in detail, why you are here?
You already know why I am here.
Yes, but you must say it yourself, otherwise it would not be a confession.
You have a point. I am here to confess  to murdering my dear friend Fortunato.
In detail, Mr. Montresor
Everything? From planning to the act?
Yes.
Very well. I first wished to kill him when he dared to insult me.
He insulted you? 
Yes.
Was it really deserving of murdering him?
Yes. 
Well, what did he say?     
He insulted the Montresor family. If I'm correct his exact wordswere, " The Montresors we once a great family, so full of culture and talent. It is a shame that they have been reduced to this."
Well that is rather harsh. When was this?
Over my dead mother's grave.
Ah....I see.
You understand my contempt for him, no?
Regardless of what was said and where, don't you feel remorse for your actions?
No.
Not at all?
No, not at all.
I see. Carry on.
I returned home and considered if I would ever have a chance for revenge. I wanted to reduce him to a mere sentence, as he did to my family. I understood that it would not be easy, he was a rather public figure, then there was the pesky matter of witnesses. I was thinking that I would need to lure him to a place he would not be noticed, and then do the deed. I know that murder can be a messy business, so I had to find a way to kill him without killing him. That way if they found him I wouldn't be directly responsible.
So why are you confessing?
I got bored.
Bored? Bored of what?
Bored of everything. I had been planning this for months, it was my everything. And so I now have nothing to do with my life.
You do realize the years you will be facing, right?
Considering the insults, and all the other things I had to bear, it was worth it.
What other things?
He hurt me in a thousand ways. 
Hurt? As in a physical injury?  
One could perceive it that way.   
You could be facing the death penalty, and you claim it was worth it?
I have no intention of facing my charges. 
And just how do you intend to escape them? 
I have just as many enemies as I do friends. 
Please elaborate.
I'd rather not.
It was not a request.
I do believe it was
I will repeat myself, how do you intend to escape your charges?
………….
Mr. Montresor?
…………. 

The recording ends there. There is no record of anything said or done by Montresor before the trial, where he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to death.

I commented on Sofia's Blog, Aine's Blog, and Hazelle's Blog.



6 comments:

  1. I really like how you showed Montresor's true character. It shows how he doesn't really care that he killed him. I can better understand his reasons too. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. This writing style is completely different from what the others have wrote. You truly bring out the true character of Montresor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Sophie I really liked how you made this a really interesting format.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The writing style is really amazing. It really stands out from everyone else's blogs and makes it much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the unique interview format. The story is really ingenious and I enjoyed the ending.

    ReplyDelete