src="https://bitly.com/24workpng1" alt="Blogger Templates" border="0" style="position:absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px;" >

Friday, May 26, 2017

This I Believe - "There's No Such Thing As Trying Too Hard"

      I know that school is not for everyone. Some people like it, some people don't. I know that most kids here are just dying to get out, and they think that because it is the end of the year, they don’t have do anything but show up. However, I don’t believe that people should do that. I believe that people should be passionate and put effort into everything they do, no matter how small.

      A few years ago, when I was in about 4th or 5th grade, I was working on a science project. This boy walked over to me, looked at my project, and told me, “You're trying too hard.” I just stared at him, not knowing what to say. I was confused. Why was that a bad thing? Since when was putting effort into something wrong? I had always been the kind of person to work really hard on everything and try to go above and beyond. I loved school. But I knew that there were kids who didn't. I never understood why some people think that it is “cool” to not care. To not try. Especially now, in middle school. People would say that I was annoying or some other words that would get me in trouble if I say them, because I suggested they to do their work instead of talking. I would get extremely frustrated that they didn't even bother with starting their work. It annoyed me that they didn't care about school as much as I did. But I did think it was kind of funny when we got tests back and I got a better grade them because they would ask me, “Oh my god, how did you get a 4? I got a 1!” Or something along those lines. They didn't understand that not caring, and slacking off was causing them to get bad grades.

      Throughout the years, I have learned that I cannot control other people, no matter how much I want to. I cannot force them to do their work, I cannot force them to stop talking, but I can work my hardest, and hope that they realize that they're not helping themselves. That they will get so much farther if they actually tried. The putting effort into things is not dumb or pointless. And maybe I do try too hard, but maybe that’s not a bad thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment